Çanakkale-Tübingen Troia Foundation ÇOMÜ-M. Osman Korfmann Library consists of Prof. Korfmann’s own book collection. Before the death of Prof. Korfmann he left his books to the use of researchers’ in the responsibility of the foundation. Publications have scientific quality and are related with archaeology and its branches. Archaeological publications about Troia and Troas but also about Anatolia, Georgia, Balkans and Europe are available. The library contains 15.000 books and approximately 30,000 documents and articles. The foundation aims to enrich the library with new publications on archaeology.
Besides, this building is hosting conferences, seminars, workshops and exhibitions. It is planned to find a place for a guesthouse for accommodation of local and foreign researchers.
It is known that education buildings were built between 1890 and 1910 in Çanakkale. This building was built as a school for nursery that belongs to Surp Kevork Armenian Church constructed in 1669. After the library building had been used as a school, it was abondoned when the Armenian society left Çanakkale in the first quarter of the 20th century. After the declaration of Turkisch Republic it served as a tobacco store, belonging to the ‘Tekel’ administration. In 2006 the building was bought by Çanakkale Municipality and given to Troia Foundation to be used as library. The restoration was completed M. Osman Korfmann Kütüphanesi with the contributions of private companies and people, mainly from Çanakkale. The restoration project and its application were supervised by Architect İsmail Erten. The library was opened on the 24th February 2007.
This is an important library on Troia and Anatolian Archaeology, which has approximately 15.000 books and other publication.
The ones, who contributed to obtain the library building, to restore and furnish it as well as to archive the books by computerizing, and bring them to Çanakkale from Tübingen: